Turangi New Zealand is situated at the southern end of Lake Taupo. Turangi is a 40 minute drive south of Taupo and a 40 minute drive to the Whakapapa ski field at Mount Ruapehu. Turangi is situated on the banks of the Tongariro River and offers lake and rivers for fly fishing and water based activities.
Turangi and it’s surrounding countryside offers hunting, fishing, mountain biking, hiking or bush walks, white water rafting, kayaking, sight seeing and much more. Turangi is the ideal base for excursions into the Tongariro National Park, Kaimanawa Forest Park, and Pureroa Forest Park.
Turangi is located in the Lake Taupo District, on the shores of Lake Taupo. A great spot to base yourself during your adventures in the Lake Taupo and Tongariro area!
You can easily book your Turangi accommodation with our hotel booking partner Bookit. Whether you are looking for Turangi hotels, motels or just a family camping ground, they have the lot! Save time, and book your Turangi accommodation online now 🙂
Four hours drive from either Auckland or Wellington and only 40 minutes from Taupo, the Turangi – Tongariro region is the natural centre of the North Island, world renowned as ‘The Trout Fishing Capital of the World’, and covers an area of 2273 sq. kilo meters.
Built on the banks of the wonderful Tongariro River, Turangi and it’s surrounding countryside offers challenging hunting, fishing, mountain biking, hiking or leisurely bush walks, white water rafting, kayaking, sight seeing and much more.
Turangi is the ideal base for excursions into the Tongariro National Park, Kaimanawa Forest Park, Pureroa Forest Park as well as being only a 40 minute drive to the Whakapapa ski area on Mt Ruapehu.
Several small picturesque settlements are close by. Kuratau, Omori, Pukawa and Whareroa are lakeside settlements a short drive off the Western Bays Highway, while other delightfully situated villages from Motuoapa to Hatepe are passed on State Highway 1 driving north from Turangi to Taupo. Well worth a visit is historic Tokaanu with it’s thermal activity pools and power station.
Turangi Local Information
The Turangi – Tongariro area has numerous attributes that include:
* Central location in the North Island and proximity to State Highway One – with a 4,720 vehicles per day market at Turangi’s doorstep
* The Tongariro River – world famous for trout fishing
* The picturesque Tokaanu Hot Pools complex and the adjacent natural thermal area
* 4 large areas of native bush, exotic forest and natural scenic beauty
* Close to Tongariro National Park, our oldest National Park which has been internationally recognised as a natural world heritage area and also a cultural world heritage area – one of only 15 such sites in the world. This park contains the marvellous andesite volcanoes of Tongariro, Ngauruhoe and Ruapehu.
* An area rich in Maori history which is the tribal home of the Ngati Tuwharetoa people
* Close to the numerous walking tracks of the Tongariro National Park that includes the
* Tongariro Crossing which is the most popular one day walk in New Zealand
* Close to the largest ski area in New Zealand – Whakapapa Ski area which caters for 10,000 skiers per day
* Close to the largest lake in New Zealand – Lake Taupo
* Numerous outdoor recreational pursuits available including: rafting, kayaking, skiing, fishing, trekking, boating, golfing, tramping, climbing, flying, horse riding and scenic drives. All these activities are supported by an infrastructure of accommodation, restaurants, transport and information
* Population of approximately 4,300 people – and growing
* Low cost real estate, housing and commercial rents
* Available work force
* Range of community assets – library, parks and swimming pools.